Thursday, August 7, 2008

People Want Every Excuse Not To Do More With Their Lives

I called into a radio station today where I heard a gentleman talk about why he wasn't a fan of the Olympics.

He said it's "tainted." "You don't know if the guy is on drugs or not. There's money. It's tainted."

Well, my friend. If you're not a fan of the Olympics then you sure as hell better not be a fan of the NFL, the NBA, NHL, CFL, Nascar, and any other sport you can think of. Because in your mind they are all tainted.

As humans we really don't like it when people around us are doing better than us. It's in our nature that we don't like to feel uncomfortable and that's a problem. As an Olympian I don't have that problem. I see someone doing great things and I think, "Damn! I've got to get my ass in gear!" But most people try and find some excuse that makes another persons acheivement wrong. Illegal. Whatever you want to call it.

If we go through life assuming that great achievements are somewhat tainted we take away the ultimate pleasure from witnessing the event as well as the ultimate lesson that the acheivement provides.

Don't look at someone breaking a world record and dismiss it with an, "Oh he's/she's on drugs." Think, "Man! That's amazing. To think that the human body can do that. What can I do with my body?"

Dara Torres is (hopefully) that example. She's clean at this point. And she is therefore an example of what the body is capable of becoming if it is taken care of properly. Nurtured. Trained. Recovered. Rested. Inspired. Motivated. Meditated. Etc.

That is the lesson that I'm walking away with and the one I suggest you walk away with too. Don't dismiss it as, "Oh she's got a ton of money that's why she can look like that." Why don't you go out and make that kind of money so you can do that. I am.

No comments: