Thursday, August 7, 2008

I Get More Excited About The Summer Games Than The Winter Games

Being a winter Olympian you'd think I'd get more excited about the winter Olympics than the Summer Olympics.

But I don't.

I think it comes down the the fact that the summer games are so much bigger. Eleven thousand athletes compete. The Olympic village is like a city, not a college dorm like it is in the Winter.

I also find that the summer sports are sports you can relate to. Running. Jumping. Strength sports. Sports played with balls.

The Winter Olympics has been called the "elitist" Olympics because there are so few countries competing at the "expensive" sports. Skiiing. Skating. Ice Hockey.

The summer games is all about skin too. You can't complain watching womens volleyball. Or even the track and field events. The bodies are gorgeous. It's hot. It's sweaty. I mean come on! It's just awesome. In the Winter Olympics everyone is covered up with a speed suit or snow pants.

I'm excited for the Beijing Olympics. I think this is going to be a watershed Olympics. It's going to be political. Hot. Smoggy. Protesty. Should be a fun one.

Jonathan- Olympian

No comments: